I'm starting this thread to share my experience in purchasing a new wheelchair van. It will be a work in progress because I don't have the attention span to type a bunch at once and I have a lot to say. I'm an engineer and I researched this purchase for a couple of years, while raising money because when you say wheelchair you add zeros. My intention is to make this helpful for someone else.
First, I didn't even consider a minivan. I currently have a minivan that I've nicknamed that I can't say here. Prior to my injury I was a truck guy for life.
Needs and desires: Needed something that both my wife and I can drive so driving from my chair wasn't an issue (rant to follow). Wanted something to do some camping with, but also conscious of the mpg.
I ended up purchasing a 2015 Mercedes Sprinter 4 cyl diesel with a 7 speed transmission cargo van. I'm having a Braun Vangater lift installed in the side door (rant to follow). I had Van Specialties in Portland add a bench seat that turns into a bed, windows all the way around, roof vent/fan, and rubberized flooring. The guys at VP are awesome. I plan to transfer on longer outings and ride in my chair on shorter ones.
I've added a few pics pre-lift.
I'll follow up later with some more pictures and more info about my experience. My experience with the mobility industry has been mostly negative...unfortunately.
First, I didn't even consider a minivan. I currently have a minivan that I've nicknamed that I can't say here. Prior to my injury I was a truck guy for life.
Needs and desires: Needed something that both my wife and I can drive so driving from my chair wasn't an issue (rant to follow). Wanted something to do some camping with, but also conscious of the mpg.
I ended up purchasing a 2015 Mercedes Sprinter 4 cyl diesel with a 7 speed transmission cargo van. I'm having a Braun Vangater lift installed in the side door (rant to follow). I had Van Specialties in Portland add a bench seat that turns into a bed, windows all the way around, roof vent/fan, and rubberized flooring. The guys at VP are awesome. I plan to transfer on longer outings and ride in my chair on shorter ones.
I've added a few pics pre-lift.
I'll follow up later with some more pictures and more info about my experience. My experience with the mobility industry has been mostly negative...unfortunately.
New mercedes sprinter wheelchair van and experience
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire