OK I wish I had better photos. I can't find anything on Google, and the photos I have are while I'm in it. This is about the vehicle that's been picking me up most frequently for Dr's appts. So it's a rear entry. The van has no rear seats, but a full row of middle seats instead of strapping down the chair between 2 middle seats. The ramp angles up to enter the van, changes angle, and then flattens out. Only, the flat portion is INCREDIBLY SHORT. I have the wheelbase of my icon really short right now, and pulling up as far forward as possible means the flat portion ends before the edge of my rear wheels. The first time I rode in it I thought maybe I'm supposed to be facing rearward, but even if I could somehow get into the vehicle backwards, due to my low rsh my smart drive is positioned lower than normal making it stick out a good bit beyond my rear wheels, so I don't think my front casters would fit onto the flat portion. In the photo, the red line is about where the flat stops and it starts to angle. I pull up as far forward as possible and put my feet up under the middle seats since there isn't enough room with the wing pressed all the way up. I wrap the strap hanging off one of the middle seats around my left arm to help secure myself during acceleration and turns as my chair rocks. I found if I do not lock my brakes, the rocking is MUCH LESS. It was extremely unsafe the first time and I felt like I was holding on for dear life. It was by pure accident that I secured the front hooks the second time and forgot to lock my brakes. This allowed the chair to move back and forth some in the slack of the straps, rocking less (and yes the straps are as tight as physically possible. I think part of the issue is the front straps are located higher than the floor, and attached to the front wing of my icon allows it to raise up).
Regardless of the issues with my specific chair, I do not understand how this is supposed to be safe and work for ANY chair. I can't imagine a power chair base fitting (and when I schedule, I tell them I have a power chair because otherwise they bring a regular vehicle and expect you to have a folding chair). My best guess is maybe it's meant to transport an unoccupied wheelchair. I don't know if they have many vans like this or just always pick me up in the same one, but they have also picked me up in 2 different rear ramp vans that secured between the middle seats.


Regardless of the issues with my specific chair, I do not understand how this is supposed to be safe and work for ANY chair. I can't imagine a power chair base fitting (and when I schedule, I tell them I have a power chair because otherwise they bring a regular vehicle and expect you to have a folding chair). My best guess is maybe it's meant to transport an unoccupied wheelchair. I don't know if they have many vans like this or just always pick me up in the same one, but they have also picked me up in 2 different rear ramp vans that secured between the middle seats.
Anyone familiar with this ramp van design? Rear entry
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire